donderdag 8 oktober 2009

Bunkasai! (+Typhoon)

Yes, I know it's been a full week...

I've just been busy... uhm... resting...
UUUUUuhm ok to the point!

I have so much to say that I don't really know where to start. Except for the fact that I do!
In this episode of "A Wacko in Japan":
- Culture Festival!
- First classes! (In part 2)
- Typhoon! (Might be in this part... Because it was today...)

As you see, I actually háve been quite busy, I just sort of failed to notify you! Or something.
The thing is there are times when I'd rather spend my time bothering my sister than writing stuff on this page :D

So let's start with Culture Festival (hereafter referred to as Bunkasai, which literally means exactly the same thing)!
Bunkasai is an event held at the school where every class and club does something like a small food stall or a dance performance or something along those lines.
My class did Belgian waffles! :D They called themselves "Aressaffuru", Aressa- because our homeroom teacher's name is Alessandro (he's Brazilian, but I actually didn't notice, his accent is just too perfect). The -ffuru comes from the Japanese (Katakana english) way of writing waffles.
>>> Nihon no Kotoba intermezzo: Katakana: The name for the "alphabet" Japanese people use to write English words in a way they know how to pronounce. Only it's never the right way. In japanese a consonant is always followed by a vowel. The only exeption to this rule is n. But the n in nani is different from the n in kenshin. They are pronounced differently. It is actually impossible to have a word begin with that specific n character. A few examples:
- Text: TeKiSuTo
- Smith: SuMiSu
- White: HoWaiTo
- Vietnam: BeToNaMu
- Horror: HaRaa
- ...
Sometimes they're so different that I only recognize them when they try to write them (the spelling sometimes going quite haywire of course :D)

Anyway surprisingly enough my class had gotten hold of actual imported Belgian waffles. When they asked me if we ate waffles hot or cold in Belgium I answered that both were ok, but because I thought at first that they were going to bake them themselves I said that hot was best. It seemed quite weird to me because in my experience such a thing as a waffle iron doesn't really exist in these parts.
What they did was take a small gas fire, put a pan on it and heat up the pre-baked (imported Belgian) waffles and pour stuff like chocolate sauce over them. I had quite a good laugh as you can imagine, but they did a good job :)
I also participated in a presentation. The international club (that I am a member of by default) gave a small presentation about a few "international culture items". I had to say 3 lines which were all weird laws they have in America. Stuff like "It is forbidden to play Dominoes on Sunday." Yeah, those Americans... My impression of them ain't improving :D
Ami-sensei (the teacher in charge of the international club) also did a dance performance with her first-year-students' "Daigo Crew" (Daigo is her last name).
It was really good :O They did it in 2 groups and the first one wasn't that good so I didn't bother, but the second one was good so I taped all of it :D I might be putting that up on Youtube one of these days...
Speaking of putting stuff on Youtube, I taped my way to school on Sunday (That's right folks, I had a full 7 days of school last week)! It's a bit big and stuff and it's still like splitted into 2 parts so I still have some work on that... I'm also going to put the stuff I taped at the matsuri up for your enjoyment (not mine, obviously, do you know how mendokusai it is to mix all that stuff?)
I might be doing vlogs in stead of blogs in the future, because it's such a pain to type these long messages :D
Anyway I had fun at Bunkasai! Watch the pictures on my Flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42370919@N07/sets/72157622542110506/
Oh and I haven't told you the best part! I walked around on Saturday in traditional Japanese clothing the WHOLE DAY :D If that ain't cool :P Only thing is, my host dad doesn't really have that kind of stuff, so I had to borrow one of my host mother's yukata's :P (If you're wondering what it is, it looks like a kimono but isn't. Just watch the pictures! :D

As an extra, because I am kindness itself, I'll give you a little info about the big typhoon we had.

I had so much fun!!

Might sound a bit weird, but that's how it is :D In the area where I live we didn't have like the big storm stuff, so it did rain quite a bit but it was still ok. Actually even though today was the peak of the typhoon it was really sunny for most of the day. The wind was strong though. REALLY strong. I walked over the court with a plate in my hands and it was almost torn out of them by the wind. THAT strong. It really was quite unlike wind in Belgium. But because it was warm wind I had a lot of fun just standing there getting blown away :D

Hai, shuuryou!! (Let's put an end to this!)
Niban no bun ni o-tanoshimi ni kudasai! (Please look forward to part 2!)

BeSuPyuTo YoRen

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten